A set of one dozen new white towels. 15"x25", all cotton.
*According to "Puppy Intensive Care" by Myra Savant-Harris, "I suggest buying a new supply of whtie washcloths or hand towels. You will need to have two cloths per puppy". "Against a white cloth, you will be able to see clearly the blood from the cord stump. The first one will get wet and have blood on it quickly and then you will have a second one to stimulate the puppy further and wrap him as he dries. This will help you to assess blood loss, if any, and assess the color of any fluids that you are able to remove with the bulb syringe or DeLee catheter. Empty the syringe on to the white cloth for assessment purposes. Have a few extra cloths in the warming box for emergency use. I keep them under the heating pad just in case I need them.
Wash the new cloths in a regular washing machine with Thieves Laundry Detergent or another safe, non toxic soap. Rinse them twice and ry. Store them in a zipper-closed plastic bag in the warming box. Once you have plugged in the warming box in preparation for the delivery (at the very first sign of labor), the cloths will warm while you're awaiting delivery. After the whelping is completed, wash the cloths and store them in the warming box until time for the next whelping."
These towels are also excellent to use with Thieves Household Cleaner to clean up all the puppy messes safely and without the use of harmful chemicals.
*Reprinted with permission.
- Softness: Don’t let the word "economy" fool you. Our economy cotton hand towels are very soft to the touch and are fluffy enough for those with sensitive skin. Economy grade towels weigh 2.25 pounds per dozen; economical, yet perfect for the busy nursery. Premium grade towels are slightly fluffier to start, and are also excellent for the nursery.
- Thirstiness: Our whelping towels feature thirsty cotton fibers which absorb and wick away moisture.
- Fresh-Smelling Fragrance: Even if you launder your gym towels without fragrances, they’ll still smell great! That’s because cotton doesn’t like to hold onto odors, making it perfect for nursery environments.
- Fast-Drying: Cotton dries relatively quickly.
- Right Size: Most clients will find that two 15” x 25” hand towels are all they need to assess and dry each puppy.